COLLECTION COMING SOON!
The Troy Room at Troy Public Library houses the library's local history and special collections. The collection contains a wealth of resources for genealogical and historical research on the City of Troy, Rensselaer County, and the greater area. Included in the collection are census records, city directories, indexes of vital records, historic newspapers, photographs, scrapbooks, and more. The digital collection on New York Heritage represents a small but growing portion of the contents of The Troy Room.
The Troy Public Library was chartered in 1905 to serve the city of Troy after the union of the Troy Lending Library, the Troy Young Men's Association, and the Free Reading Room of Troy. Since 1897, the library's home has been The Hart Memorial Building on Second Street in historic downtown Troy. The building is an early example of the American Renaissance and features an original Tiffany window depicting master printer Aldus Manutius printing Dante's Divine Comedy. In 1939, the Lansingburgh Branch opened in rooms in the old Lansingburgh Academy building at 114th Street and Fourth Avenue where it is still located.
Troy Public Library is a member of the Capital District Library Council.