4079 Albany Post Road
Hyde Park, NY 12538 Phone: 1 (845) 486-7770
During his second term in office, President Franklin D. Roosevelt surveyed the vast quantities of papers and other materials he and his staff had accumulated. In the past, many Presidential papers and records had been lost, destroyed, sold for profit, or ruined by poor storage conditions. President Roosevelt sought a better alternative. On the advice of noted historians and scholars, he established a public repository to preserve the evidence of the Presidency for future generations. Beginning a tradition that continues to this day, he raised private funds for the new facility and then turned it over to the United States government for operation through the National Archives.
In addition to archival materials related to the presidency, the Franklin D. Roosevelt Library also houses a wide variety of materials related to the History of the Hudson River Valley and Dutchess County in particular. President Roosevelt amassed an extensive collection of personal papers related to the Roosevelt and Delano families as well as books, photographs, artwork, objects, and historic manuscripts about the Hudson River Valley, ca. 1540-1952.
Franklin D. Roosevelt Library is a member of the Southeastern New York Library Resources Council.