In 1878, Dr. Willis G. Tucker, of the Albany Medical College faculty, and Mr. Gustavus Michaelis, of the Albany Pharmaceutical Company, called a meeting at which about twenty Albany pharmacists convened and started to plan the establishment of a school of pharmacy. It wasn't until 1880, however, when Dr. Tucker and Mr. Michaelis consulted with Archibald McClure, Esq., a wholesale druggist, Dr. Jacob S. Mosher, then Registrar and Professor at the Medical School, and Joseph W. Russell, from the Board of Trustees of Albany Medical College proposed to establish a Department of Pharmacy of Union University that things really got underway. A plan of organization was drawn up by Dr. Tucker and presented to Dr. E. N. Potter, then President of Union University. He excitedly approved the project, and at the annual meeting of the Board of Trustees held on June 21, 1881, Albany College of Pharmacy was created to constitute the Department of Pharmacy of Union University. A Board of Trustees was appointed and the school was incorporated as the Albany College of Pharmacy, conforming to the laws of the state, August 27, 1881. - from Union University: Its History, Influence, Characteristics and Equipment. New York: Lewis Publishing Company, 1907.
Moving forward... in 2008, to better reflect its expanding range of academic programs, the school officially changed its name to Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences. In 2009, a campus in Colchester, Vermont with an inaugural class of 74 students opened. And in 2011, the College's first Masters degree was awarded in the study of Pharmacology. The College now has six Bachelor's programs and five Master's degree programs in addition to the now standard PharmD, or Doctor of Pharmacy, degree awarded to graduating pharmacists.
The items found here comprise digital archives of the College which are collected and preserved to retain the history of the Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences.
Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences - Paul Byrnes '34 Archives is a member of the Capital District Library Council.