Daemen College was originally founded as Rosary Hill College in 1947 by the Sisters of St. Francis of Penance and Christian Charity in Amherst, New York. By 1967, the College had gradually evolved from a liberal arts college for women to an independent, non-sectarian, co-educational institution. To reflect this new identity, the name was changed from Rosary Hill to Daemen, with the new name honoring Mother Magdalen Daemen, founder of the Sisters of Saint Francis of Penance and Christian Charity. An annual yearbook, named the Summit, was published yearly beginning in 1952 (the first graduating class) and running until 2012. Daemen College Library's collection of Summit yearbooks was digitized in the summer of 2018.