When Geneva Medical College moved to Syracuse in 1872, becoming the Syracuse University College of Medicine, its first classes were held in a building in Clinton Block area near the Erie Canal. Then in 1875, the College of Medicine moved to an old carriage factory building on McBride Street (called Orange Street at the time) and remodeled some of the laboratories and other spaces as students began taking classes. After 20 years, the carriage factory building could no longer be used due to its age and deteriorating condition. In response the college raised enough money to construct a new building on 309 South McBride street, a structure which still exists today. The carriage factor building was demolished and students began taking classes in the new building in 1896.