Hartwick College was founded in 1797, under the provisions of the will of John Christoper Hartwick, as the first Lutheran Seminary in America. The first Seminary building was erected in 1815 on the Hartwick Patent in upstate New York. In 1888 the Classical Department introduced the freshmen year of a collegiate course and in 1928 it expanded to a four-year liberal arts college and was moved to Oneonta, New York. Today, Hartwick College is an independent, liberal arts and sciences college of about 1400 students and 150 faculty. The College Archives was officially established in 1973 and exists primarily to collect and preserve materials that reflect the biography of John Christopher Hartwick and the educational institutions bearing his name – Hartwick Seminary, Hartwick Academy and Hartwick College.
Scope of Collection
The documents in this record group span the years 1928 to the present. They are divided into five series: Office Files - Publications - Bibliographical and Historical - Photos, Maps, Graphics, Audiovisual - Memorabilia, News Articles, Artifacts. Although there are some gaps in the publications series, there is a strong representation of student, faculty and alumni publications over the years. The biographical and historical series includes publications by or about faculty, staff, students, alumni, or the College itself. The photos, maps, graphics and audio-visual series is very extensive. The audiovisual in particular contains an impressive number of recordings of famous and critical speakers who visited the campus. The news article collection is the strongest aspect of the Memorabilia Series. The articles were compiled in scrapbooks but are available on microfilm. Overall, the collection is a good foundation for a recorded history of the College.