The Freeport Memorial Library was established in 1884 by Professor Loren M. Burdick, principal of the Freeport Schools, with funds raised by amateur entertainments. In 1895, the Board of Regents of New York State granted a provisional charter. A permanent charter, signed by Melvil Dewey, was granted on December 21, 1899. The Library was housed in a school until 1911 when it was moved to a rented room in the Miller Building on South Grove Street. On Memorial Day in 1924, the Beaux Arts building, designed by architect Charles M. Hart was dedicated as the first war memorial library in New York State. In 1925, the Freeport Library officially changed its name to the Freeport Memorial Library. On April 19, 1959, a new wing was dedicated. In 1982, on the 90th anniversary of the Village of Freeport the residents elected to expand their Library once again. Today the Freeport Memorial Library is one of the largest public library facilities in Nassau County.